CBD Salve: The Definitive Guide for 2021
Like most other medicinal hemp products, CBD salves are often advertised as miracle cures. And while we cannot neglect all the potential benefits that this product brings, we also need to be somewhat conservative.
For example, hemp companies usually advertise hemp as a product that can alleviate various types of pain. But, is this really true? How effective are CBD salves for chronic pain?
In this article, we will talk about CBD salves, some of their main characteristics, drawbacks, and benefits. Check it out!
What is CBD?
The medicinal hemp market is booming in the last few years. You can find a wide variety of items online, and sometimes, it is really hard to differentiate one product from another.
It also doesn't help that this market is relatively new and unregulated, which is an additional problem for consumers who just want to find the best solution for their problems.
Most of these products are labeled as “CBD” or “medicinal hemp” items. CBD or cannabidiol is one of the numerous cannabinoids that can be found in the hemp plant.
However, it is not the only substance present within CBD salves. Besides cannabidiol, these products also have a plethora of vitamins, minerals, terpenes, flavonoids, and other cannabinoids. All of them work in conjunction, providing a wholesome impact on our bodies.
Furthermore, some hemp experts claim that if you want to reap all the CBD salve benefits, you shouldn’t avoid any of the substances but instead, use hemp in a form that is closest to its natural state.
What is CBD salve?
CBD salve is one of the numerous cannabidiol products that can be applied topically. It is an ointment infused with CBD and other cannabinoids.
In order to create these products, hemp companies use various essential oils such as lavender, coconut, tea tree, and so on. The underlying carrier oil can affect the traits of the CBD salve, further increasing the list of potential benefits.
Bedsides carrier oils, CBD salves also contain butters or beeswax. These ingredients add a solid structure to these substances, making them more cream-like.
CBD salve is easy to apply, which gives them an enormous advantage over some other topical cannabidiol substances. For example, it is much better for skin than CBD oil that tends to be troublesome, and can leave stains on your clothes.
What are the potential benefits of CBD salves?
There are lots of different reasons why you should try these products.
Nowadays, hemp-infused cosmetics have become incredibly popular within the cosmetic industry. They are great for hydration and for their anti-aging properties. So, even if you’re not interested in medicinal benefits, you can always use CBD topicals to improve the quality of your skin.
But, if you want to address a specific issue, here are some of the ways CBD can help you:
- The substance has great potential for tired and sore muscles. It can be used after excesses or if you're feeling a lot of fatigue. CBD provides a soothing feeling to your muscles that you'll definitely appreciate
- Cannabidiol salves may also promote healing. Keep in mind that they cannot be used for serious injuries or open wounds. However, they might be able to help you with minor issues and regeneration. So, while you cannot use it for wounds, you can use it as a way of improving skin quality and dealing with bruises.
- The hemp plant has a lot of omega fatty acids. This makes them ideal for dry skin and chafing. If you need assistance with any of these problems, these chemical compounds will definitely do the trick.
Depending on the carrier oil within the CBD salve, you might gain some additional benefits. Generally speaking, these products are great for rejuvenation and can also be used by amateur athletes.
Bear in mind they shouldn’t be used for serious medical issues and internal problems. Given that CBD salves are topical products, they will only address surface issues without reaching your bloodstream.
In that regard, these items have a completely different purpose compared to medicinal hemp edibles and vapes.
How about CBD salves and pain?
As already mentioned, CBD can be used for tiredness and soreness. It is especially great for fatigued muscles and can be great for people who are under a lot of physical stress.
If you wish to use CBD salve for severe pain (whether it's acute or chronic), we suggest that you consult a doctor beforehand. There is limited data about hemp's potential for chronic pain or as a medical treatment.
So, we cannot recommend it for these issues with a clear conscience.
Also read: How to Use CBD Salve
Even if you wish to use it in such a capacity, keep in mind that these products can only work for surface issues. CBD salves do not reach the bloodstream, so they cannot be used for types of pain caused internally, nor can they eliminate the underlying issues that are causing said pain.
How to find the right CBD salve for you?
We always recommend potential customers to start their CBD journey with Empire Hemp products.
Our company creates top-notch items from the best organic hemp you can find in the US. However, if you want to try something a bit different, here are some suggestions that will help you find the best CBD salve product:
- Quality ingredients – When it comes to CBD products, you should always pay attention to the ingredients. Some companies are notorious for their shady practices, and they are willing to sell you items that have very little to no CBD. Make sure that the hemp is completely organic and that there are no unnecessary or volatile substances within the CBD salve.
- Check the reputation – Like with any other online purchase, it is very important to buy from reputable sources. This is even more important for hemp companies because of the above-mentioned reasons. Given that most people use CBD salves to address particular issues and to improve the overall wellness of their bodies, you don't want to put whatever on your skin.
- Transparency and labeling – With all of this being said, you should go with the companies that are completely transparent, that have proper labeling, and that perform third-party lab testing. The lab analysis is especially important as it guarantees the quality of the ingredients.
What are the potential drawbacks?
CBD salves and CBD topicals, in general, are perceived as a very safe substance.
If you do experience a side effect, it will likely come in the form of a rash or surface irritation. In that case, you should just stop using the hemp salve. If the problem persists, make sure to contact a medical provider.
Keep in mind that these products usually have other ingredients and carrier oils. So, you should be wary of these substances as well.
For example, people often have issues with the underlying carrier oil, and not necessarily hemp. If you want to be extra safe, you can also perform a patch test before application.